Sr. Systems Engineer
As a Sr System Engineer you are responsible for the management and implementation of enterprise level software, and carrier class equipment spanning multiple data centers and providing hosting services to millions of customers.
The Sr Systems Engineer serves an advanced technical role and is expected to mentor other team members, make technical decisions around the platform, lead short & medium-term projects, and support the technical advancement of Endurance International Group as a whole.
The Enterprise Monitoring team is responsible for uptime & site speed SLAs for over 3 million customers and 10 million websites. The team provides backups for all customers, an active disaster recovery strategy, ongoing software upgrades, security analysis/mitigation, and all deployments on the platform (including deployments via Puppet, Ansible, & Rundeck).
- Expert knowledge of Linux OS, with the ability to mentor junior team members on operation and administration
- Expert on building, maintaining, and optimizing web technologies, including the LAMP stack
- Expected to understand, enhance and improve working environment topology, management, and performance characteristics.
- Advanced Programming and Scripting experience (Shell Scripting, Perl and/or Python)
- Networking experience including packet decoding, layer 2 switching basics, and a solid understanding of the OSI model
- Build, manage and operate multiple subsystems or platforms with little direction from Architects
- Work autonomously, identifying & implementing areas of improvement and prioritizing release schedules with general guidance from management
- Hardware Troubleshooting experience (Servers, Consoles, Switches, Routers, etc.)
- Effective verbal & written communication both within the team and with the wider organization
- Ability to grow, mentor, support, and serve team members on technical and procedural topics
- Willing to participate in an on-call rotation with other team members
- Ability to produce quick fixes, as well as formulate long term solutions to problems
- Experience in rolling out new systems, maintaining, upgrading, replacing and improving long-term performance of the systems at scale
- Experience with environments at scale (thousands of systems), including configuration management, deployment simplification, & failure mitigation
- Experience with web technology solutions, including cPanel, Apache 2.2/2.4, MySQL, PHP, Perl, nginx/nginx+, exim, dovecot, varnish, load balancers, PostGreSQL
Expert knowledge of CentOS or RedHat Server distributions
- Experience with environments/architecture at scale (tens of thousands of systems) with emphasis on “Cattle; Not Pets” mentality
- Knowledge of Linux Kernel & related modules, including troubleshooting, patching experience, etc
- Experience with Puppet configuration management.
- Experience with various virtualization technologies (QEMU, KVM, libvirt, OpenStack, OpenShift)
- Deep understanding of best practices for server level management and security.
- Identifies and designs architectural and platform best practices, including locating & resolving design flaws as they appear.
Sign up to be part of our Talent Community and get the latest news from Endurance, including the hottest job opportunities.